Sunday, April 13, 2008

I'm going to Indonesia!

Excitement and anxiety are the two best words to describe how I feel about going to Indonesia this summer.  After all the hard work of putting together a proposal for Fund for Teachers (thanks Lauren!) I was awarded the fellowship to travel to Indonesia to study shadow theater.  The hairs on my arm stand up when I think about the fact that I am going to be in Indonesia for six weeks. Its absolutely amazing!  I am looking forward to this adventure and being able to bring it into my classroom.  With all this excitement comes the anxiety of being in a foreign country with little knowledge of the language (I don't think Rosetta Stone is going to make me fluent, but something is better than nothing in 3 months), traveling alone and getting everything squared away for a trip to the other side of the globe.  Being on a plane for a day makes me a little nervous especially since I've had DVT (deep vein thrombosis) before.  And mostly making sure that I complete everything that I set out to do in my fellowship in such a short time is stressful.  But how can one stress about having this amazing opportunity.  It almost seems surreal at this point.  I want to purchase my airfare just to make it seem more real.  Later I'm going to call Indonesia to finalize arrangements for a dalang, master puppeteer, to study with while I am there.  By the way, they are 12 hours ahead of us so when I call them at 9pm, its 9am the next day.  Keep that in mind if you ever want to call Indonesia.  
Check back July 8 - August 23 for the adventures!  I'll be posting while there and I'd love to hear from you.
Melissa  a.k.a. Ms. Alvarez, Ms. A, Miiiiisssss

6 comments:

bahhne said...

I'm also excited and a little nervous about your trip, but really it sounds amazing.
Can you add some art work to the blog maybe on the page header? or even give us a sample of the Shadow puppets. Also an explainer of the art, an itinerary and what you will be doing while you're there would be good to... also maybe some words as you go learning the language.
love you your bossy sis,
vane

Melissa Alvarez said...

Geez...give me a minute to get it done. I'll getting there in due time.

Anonymous said...

wow, what an e-mail.. you made me feel bad!! :( . I hope that you are having fun!! I think that brad pitt is there looking for another kido.. I might be wrong... :D i am getting a calling card and going to call you when i have a min!!
keep in touch !!

xoxoxo
besos!

ROSENDOALVAREZ said...

ESTA ESO LO MAS BONITO QUE MAS HABIA DE COMIDA EN LA FIESTA DELA TIERRA NO HABIA CAKE??
NI DULCE NO COCO CON QUESO
NO PLATANO FRITO AHAH
ACUERDATE DE LO DEL SATELITE
TU PAPA

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

hi melissa, I'm very interested in the story in Indonesia, especially in solo ..
I come from a solo (Indonesia), and now I'm studying at yogya ..
delighted if I can be friends with you,
if you have a facebook account, you can add my facebook account: nexxar_dmc@yahoo.com or http://www.facebook.com/Satanfield69bangsat
thank you ^ ^