Friday, August 1, 2008

Cetho and Sukhu Temple trip

This picture is special for Lauren, Lore and Liz - good jumping spot! wish you were here!


The countryside, terraced rice fields, coffee plantations, farmlands, Mt. Lawu towering above, winding streets climbing on the slopes of the volcano, awe-inspiring landscapes, breathtaking views, peace and exhilaration . On the slopes of Lawu stands Cetho temple full of phallic symbols, a place for male virility ceremonies. Cetho means clear because from the gateway of this temple one can see clear to Surakarta and all the plantations and villages flowing down the mountain.

Climbing through successive pyramid like gateways you reach the temple and squeeze through and up a steep staircase to the top where a giant linggus (penis) once stood and rites were performed (the linggus is now at the National Museum in Jakarta).

Further and steeper on the slopes of Mt. Lawu is Sukuh temple that was used for female fertility and marriage preparation ceremonies. At the gateway of this temple is a place that is believed by the Hindu to help a woman who cannot become pregnant be fertile by performing a ritual there. The temple grounds have various levels that were used for different rituals and meditation practices. The grounds are landscaped and gamelan music rings up the mountainside from a nearby wedding.

Mt. Lawu looms in the distance.



Coffee plantations line the slopes and hills up Mt. Lawu



The Cetho Temple after going through the successive gateways. It is about 1 story high. The temple being at the back of the site is in the East Java style, the Central Java temples of Borobudur and Pramadan built earlier have the temple in the center. The style is reminiscent of the ancient Maya and Aztec temples of Central America although there is no evidence of contact between these cultures.



View from the temple steps leading to top out to the various descending levels and gateways.



Sukuh Temple is also built with various levels that ascend towards the temple but has only one gateway that looks more like a mini temple and fertility rites would be performed there.


By the way, this trip was done on the back of a motorcycle with a guide. A motorcycle is the best way to see and experience Indonesia.

12 comments:

Wendella said...

Wow! I´ve been there and showed you some photos...........cool reading that you are going to some of the same places!

www.volcanosandreefs.blogspot.com

i am blogging now too........ please read and comment!!

xxoo

ROSENDOALVAREZ said...

QUE ALTO ES EL TEMPLO
COMO TIKAL QE ANO SON
MAS FOTOS EL VOLCAN COMO EL DE AGUA? NO HAY INDUSTRIAS? TODO
AGRICULTURA NO CARRETERAS ??
FOTOS CON ESTES ES FROTO PARA SABER
QUIEN ES QUIEN HABLAS DE NOMBRES
PERO QUIERO VERLOS
QUIERO UN MAPA DE AHI Y OTRO DE JAVA
NO HAY POSTCARDS CON FOTOS DE LOS LUGARES ??
TU PAPA

Melissa Alvarez said...

They are nothing close to as large as the temples in Tikal. They are built up onto the mountain. I'm not sure what the elevation is but its not one of the larger volcano mountains in Java. Also, it is not like Agua, since Volcan Agua has lava flows and this one does not. The one here that is gigantic is Merapi and has been very active since 96 or 98. There are highways linking all the cities and villages but its not like driving through the rocky mountains. The road wasn't bad, no potholes, or landslides. I've seen worse in central America.
The temples are from the 15th century I believe. Built around the time that Islam spread through Java and the Hindus were going to more secluded areas.

Wendy,
I totally remember your pictures from the temples. I also went to Borobudur and although it was quite spectacular I didn't have much of a spiritual connection since it is so touristy and full of those horrible peddlers that surround you like paparazzi on Britney Spears. I'm going to try to get to Prambadan this week hopefully.
Wendy I'm going to places you've been to and you are going to places I've been to, this is sooo exciting! I'm going to Bali next week so I too will be doing volcanos and reefs. Parallel experiences - I love it!

kfreeburg said...

I am so amazed! You rock alvarez, awesome pics, and great history info. might use your blog for my classes. You are having such an amazing experience....can't wait to hear all about over some cocktails.-kiera

bahhne said...

love the jumping pic!

Lauren said...

Hey! The jumping pic is awesome! Nice shot -- def rivals ours at the golden gate!

Mom and Mo are in town now -- too bad they can;t jump! I'm still taking them to the same spot tho'!

Lore said...

Hi Meli, I was finally able to view your blog page since papi still does not have internet and I started work this week.

I love the jumping picture too. What a great spot!! Wish I was there too. Also a great picture to frame. I finally got around to reading about your experiences, the puppets look amazing. You really do need to make a show of the family when you get back and now that you know those fancy moves you can even get TOny in the forehead. I love you!
Lore

Lore said...

Meli, Surfing in Bali!!! What a wonderful experience. I knew you'd be a pro. You are so amazing. We have to go surfing together when you come visit. Have fun with Marlen, I know she's super excited. Can't wait to hear about your experiences together.
Love you, Lore

Lore said...

Hi Meli, I love the picture you took in honor of us! I can see that you are having so much fun. I wish I was there.... cool pictures I can't wait to read you blogs. Sorry I wrote so late but u know..... ur cuz is a little slow when it comes internet! jk. Keep having fun and taking jumping pictures!!! Love u -see you in NY.Love ya Liz

M.H. said...

Wow, I can imagine the exhilaration and peace that you are experiencing over there. I can't wait to hear your voice tell me all these stories!

M.H. said...

GREETINGS FROM THE USA!!
I got your postcard - beautiful!!!

xoxoxo

Monica said...

The sukuh temple used for female fertility rituals does look a bit like a vagina.