Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Dalang 101 continued



My teacher's name is Pak Sri Joko. He doesn't mind being called Joko. He is really funny, cool and super patient. We started learning how to make the puppets fight. So, now I have to hold two puppets. One in each hand with all three rods tucked in there in such a way that you are supposed to be able to move their arms (punching motions) with the flick of a finger. Well...this is quite comical or frustrating...I like to laugh at myself and quietly curse my unrefined hands in Spanish. Every time I try to make the puppet punch only moving one hand with one finger the rods slip out or it does nothing and is stuck. These guys can move both arms of one puppet with one hand with the larger middle rod in their hands. Its hard to explain and I wish I could load videos on here, but unfortunately the internet connection out here isn't that fast so when I have tried after 4 hours of loading a 1 minute video clip I give up.
Also Pak Joko was explaining how the fighting is a representation of the inner conflict inside anyone and the duality of the human being. The battles are figurative of the power struggles that go on between the mind and the soul or the good and bad in everyone. And that the Hindu stories are all based on these spiritual beliefs so the wayang kulit stories and puppets are all representations and ways of expressing these beliefs.

1 comment:

Monica said...

The show sounds funny.