Saturday, July 12, 2008

My adventure for the day....The Mall

The Mall. An American standard. We love it. All those opportunities to spend your money and dig yourself into a pit of debt is the American way. Well apparently its not too different in Indonesia. At least in Jakarta on a Saturday afternoon the mall is crawling with shoppers. This mall is similar in many ways to the malls we know back in the states, food court, kiosks, escalators, crowds and lots of products. In fact, there was a whole floor for cell phones. The mall is all little booths and it turns into this maze of repetition where entire sections are essentially selling products so similar that you think you are looking at the same thing over and over like a broken record. I think I'll call it the broken record mall. Anyway, I was there to buy a pre-paid phone and miraculously I found a salesperson who spoke English and was able to help me. So now, like all Indonesians, I have a cell phone. I can now call all the local people I know which come to a grand total of 1.
The best part about going to the mall was that across the street there is warung, food carts which I really wanted to eat from. So, I crossed the street, again risking my life through 6 lanes (with a median) to get some homemade food from a street cart. It was great, lunch was less than $1 and they have little stools for you to sit down and eat and we didn't understand each other at all. I just knew what the word for chicken was so I got that. It was hot, spicy and its about 85F in Jakarta so I worked up a sweat eating my Ayam sop.

5 comments:

M.H. said...

Are you taking lots of pictures? I wanna see everything you are seeing. Take photos of your food. And of the traffic. :)

Leah said...

Melissa,
What is asam sop? awesome soup? i wanna know details...
Leah

bahhne said...

can't you post an album or something? Did you take pictures in the broken record mall?

Melissa Alvarez said...

Sorry, but I didn't take any pictures in the mall. I was the only westerner there and it was quite surreal and it was the first time people weren't smiling at me, so I guess I was a bit hesitant to start taking pictures right there in the middle of the mall.
Asam sop and I misspelled it. Its actually Ayam sop which is chicken soup, Indonesian style, its spicy and has glass noodles and green onions. Although awesome soup sounds good too.
I will try to get my pics on snapfish but seriously it takes forever.

ROSENDOALVAREZ said...

SEGUI LAS INSTRUCIONES SIN PREGUNTARLE A LA VANE NO USO EL OTRO NOMBRE PUES TODOS LO VERIAN
CREO EL BURRO TOCO LA FLAUTA

TE LLAMO EN AM
TU PAPA