Thursday, July 24, 2008

Dalang 101

aka Puppeteering lesson for the clumsy, stiff, ungentle western hands.

Moving these puppets is not easy. Dalangs make it look like the most graceful thing. They barely move their fingers and the puppets move entire arms like ballerinas. The puppet movements are much like dancing, especially Javanese dancing. I learned about 3 movements in 2 hours using both hands. Its not as bad as one thinks to use the left hand, but the whole thing is really hard. I started to get the hang of it and then the lesson is over. My back, hips (from sitting cross-legged), arms, shoulders and hands were sore. I learned 3 different ways of walking, a cancud and 3 entrances. The walking bit can ranges from really easy sliding using a slightly curved motion with arm raised high or bent towards the body to this other walk where the arm does these circular motions and moves and pops the elbow that is beautiful and really hard. A cancud (pronounced chanchoo) which is how the warrior fixes his clothes before going to battle and its a series of 6 movements that look like a dance. And I learned 3 different entrances/first step of a puppet which is how they are first presented to the audience. They do this little dance where they appear with one arm bent the other straight down and then the straight arm's hand comes up towards the face with a bent elbow and then reaches up, move the puppet up, then down, then bring arm down to a walking pose, walk 3 steps, then arm goes up and swoosh off the screen using a curving motion.
Its a dance in my mind. I think in 8 counts as if memorizing choreography. Did I mention its really hard? Next lesson, monday. I'm sure I'll practice walking. I'm really bad at making that look smooth. I know it seems like that would be a really simple thing to master, but its NOT. And you should see some of the things they do like flicking and spinning them around, its like cirque du soleil in minature.

5 comments:

Monica said...

Keep practicing! Even tying your shoes was REALLY hard at first! :)

The oriental cultures seem to develop more complex hand skills (e.g. sushi chefs).

M.H. said...

Remember they have years and years and years of practice. The brain is very malleable. You will learn! Imagine the areas in your brain that govern the fine finger movements growing and growing!

ROSENDOALVAREZ said...

OR SUERTE NO ESTAS EN DALANG 99

YA APRENDERAS MAS NO ME CONSTESTASTES MI PREGUNTAS??
NO TE DAN HOME WORK PRACTICA MAS

OFF BROADWAY THEATER ???

TU PAPA

Melissa Alvarez said...

Yeah, I don't think I'm in the remedial class. But of course I am well aware that the dalangs many of them not only have an entire career of experience behind them also started training and taking dalang classes as children. Much like we take piano, ballet, gymnastics, soccer and baseball, the kids here take lessons in playing gamelan, shadow puppetry, dance and if they stick with it then maybe they can go on to have a career in it, but just like us, maybe they are like one thing or none at all.
So, I'm not surprised that I'm not so good. And practice I will. Practice, practice and more practice.

Wendella said...

i have one of those puppets in my classroom here....we can practice when you get back!! ;-)
I leave Tuesday on my Central America adventure....maybe i'll do a blog too...
xxx wendy